Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cinderella's Castle

Things are different friends. I was feeling nostalgic tonight, so I went back and read most of my old posts. I talk about remembering where I came from but I honestly did not remember exactly where I came from. I forgot about the day I couldn't run more than 10 steps. I forgot about the days that I was ABSOLUTELY convinced that my lungs were going to pound out of my chest at any second. I forgot that I was hesitant to call myself a runner. I forgot that getting past 3 miles was a BIG deal.

Yesterday, I ran 11 miles. I ran 11 miles in Washington. In the cold. Over hills. One of my friends, who is super sweet just for the simple fact that she graciously agreed to humor me and did not tell me I was crazy at any point, drove me out 11 miles away from my apartment. I asked her to of course, this wasn't some sort of "punk". I got out of the car, panicked a bit as I watched her drive off and then I started the way I always start. One foot in front of the other. Headed back home. The scenery was SPECTACULAR. One of these days I will go back there in my car and take pictures when I'm not focused on my run. I ran past two beautiful lakes. I got to see mountains (probably more like hills to those non-Floridians) in the distance. I ran while overlooking the bay and I saw the islands in the distance. I got to see huge trees and trees that made me think of Dr. Seuss. There were waterfalls and twists in the road. There were hills and there was sweat. I conquered every bit of it and I am proud. Reading back to those first posts, I don't know that I could have confidently said that this is where I would be in a year. I don't know that back then, that I really believed I could run a half marathon. I mean really, I didn't even know then that I was going to move my whole life across the country to Washington state.
So here's what I have to say. Bring it on Cinderella. I am ready to see your castle in a way I have never seen it before. I am ready to run and feel good about it. I am confident in myself and what I have done. Damn I have come a long way. I fully intended to keep track of the total number of miles I've run this year, but that didn't exactly happen. But lets just put it this way...its a lot. I cannot wait to put on my tiara and lace up my sneaks and run. I will run with my friends. I will run for my past and I will run for my future.

Cinderella, I can't wait to see you.

...just 3 weeks friends!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! Remember this feeling and dont lose it! Cant wait to hear about your 1/2 marathon! So glad we got to run together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness carli i can't wait to SEE you and HUG you and RUN with you. SO SO much to talk about too....your post reminded me things the Lord has been showing me too. ah He is good. I am so proud of you and love you so very much!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete